In 2017, we bought a Tepui Kukenam XL Ruggedized Sky 4 tent in from REI. We had one goal in our sights when purchasing it. We planned to drive from Charlottesville, Virginia to Albuquerque, New Mexico for the International Balloon Fiesta. We could have flown, but we were seeking out a grand adventure. Surprisingly we didn’t overthink the purchase! We tend to get stuck with analysis paralysis, especially on things with a high price tag. How much would we use it? What would we do with it offseason? It is worth the money? We get a lot of questions about the tent so I figured it was time to lay it all out there!
* We are affiliates of REI. If you click through our links and purchase anything on their site, we may receive commission at no cost to you!
Tepui Kukenam XL Ruggedized SKY 4 Tent
Features & Technical Specs
- Four Season Ruggedized
- Four-Person Sleep Capacity
- Floor Dimensions: 96×72 inches
- Floor Area: 48 Sq Ft
- Peak Height: 52 Inches
- 360g Dual Stitched Fabric
- High-Density, 2.5 In. Foam Mattress
- Two Built-In Screened SKY Panels
- Anti-Condensation Mat Under Mattress
- Dual Rainfly Support Rods
- Extra-Large Pockets For Organization
- Gear Anchor Points & Bedding Straps
- 8 ft 6 in. Telescoping Ladder
- Diamond Plate Base
Tepui’s “Ruggedized” series is the toughest in their line. This refers to the heavier, dual stitched fabric, anti-condensation mat, heavy duty internal frame, 3-bolt hinges, and diamond plate base.
Questions We Asked Ourselves Before Buying:
Do We *Actually* Like Camping That Much?
It may sound silly, but you need to ask yourself how much you camp in a given year. Defining your vested interest in camping is crucial to choosing the right tent. If you don’t love ground tent camping but have a desire to spend extended time in nature, this may be the ideal solution for you. This is basically where I was at when we bought our tent. It turns out, we do actually like camping!